Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Birthday Blog

December 3 marked my twenty-sixth "life anniversary" and I am not quite sure how I feel.


I've always found it rather ironic how we spend the first half of our lives trying to grow up faster, wishing for the milestones to arrive more quickly:  adulthood, graduations, weddings, etc. Conversely, we spend the latter parts of our life attempting to slow the rotation of the earth and its journey around the sun. I do believe that I am in the first half of my life, hopefully, but this has caused me to assess what it means to be "twenty-six" as I always do with the passing of every age.


I've always had a flair for the dramatic, clearly. 


At this point in my life, I realize that I may have been acting, fretting furiously upon the stage of life, playing a role, but not really knowing what that means. I know I am an adult and have been for a while now, but I don't necessarily feel confronted with adulthood in the ways that I should. I still feel like a kid trapped inside the body of a grown-up who has responsibilities, but doesn't really acknowledge them fully. The owning a car or a home, having a degree or a job, and even being in a relationship, means that I should feel more mature. However, I often feel like I am engaged in some twisted game of dress-up in which, one day, I will go back to eating cookies and milk.


When I think about it, if done correctly, life is just an extended childhood. We all want to be the center of attention at times and go to bed without a care in the world. Being an adult means making sure that happens and if it does not, we must work hard to reach an equilibrium and enjoy life. I may not always feel like a grown up, but I do know a few things about life.


Life means not worrying about getting older.


Rather, it is about not taking yourself too seriously.




It is about family...




and old friends...




new friends...




love...




and living life to the fullest.

Although there are always ups and downs, I know that surrounding myself with things and people that bring me joy will keep me young, happy, and healthy.


Here's to many more "life anniversaries."

No comments:

Post a Comment